Thursday 23 April 2009

QPR Story: 2nd season: The Finishing Line

Hello hello! After my last post we are 19th in the table, 5 points adrift of safety. Now we had some better players, form was improving, and injuries were mostly absent. Could we do it? Could we beat relegation? Here are our final results for the season:



As you can see, a big improvement followed, with 18 points being won over these 13 games. In particular, wins over Portsmouth, Wigan and Blackburn were most impressive, and the draws with Man Utd, Man City and Sunderland being great too. But was this enough to keep us up? We shall see:



Answer? Yes. Our good form took us to 18th with a game to go against Blackburn, at home. Fulham were playing 9th place (then) Everton away, which they lost 4-1, which put Everton 8th. We were playing the Sunday game, and we knew that we had to win to be safe. Angelo Balanta returned to haunt us again, scoring in the first 10 minutes, and they were all over us until half time. I threw on Jack Wilshere and Steed Malbranque in a bid to win the game, and made our tactics a lot more attacking. It backfired on us for the first 20 minutes, with Blackburn playing keepball in our half. This all changed when I put on injured Mike Aram (Brian Harrison) for Sebastian Abreu. This was my last throw of the dice, and boy did it work! Aram scored 2 in the last 15 minutes, and on 93 minutes, he set up Jack Wilshere to score his 1st goal of the season. I was jubilant, and I was literally jumping up and down when the 3rd goal flew in. But seeing as I selected finish in mid table last season, I was unsure whether I would be in a job next week or not.

Anyway, on to this seasons statistics. Mike Aram finished top scorer for us, grabbing 20 goals, and 2nd in the Premier League top scorers, again scoring 20 goals. Kevin Doyle was 2nd for us, scoring 14. Top assister was Hobbit Bermudez, his many crosses and corners getting him 15 assists. 2nd and 3rd went to Chris Burke and Mike Aram, getting 12 each. Hobbit also finished 3rd in the Premier League assist charts, with 12. Highest rating was Mike Aram, getting 7.17 overall, with Glauber Berti close behind on 7.11.

Finally, mid way through my last matches (after Sunderland) I was appointed manager of Cameroon (juggling both club and country) and lost my first game away to Portugal 3-0. The only good players are Samuel Eto'o and Carlos Kameni! The world cup is coming soon, so I shall try and get into the 2nd round at least. I am in a group with England, Iran and Poland. Wish me luck!

Anyway, second season over, 3rd season coming soon! *Next post will be a world cup post*

No comments:

Post a Comment