Tuesday 21 April 2009

QPR Story: 2nd season: Improving + winter transfers

Hello everyone. Hope you all are well. Now after a terrible start to the season which left me 20th in the league, I knew that my team needed to improve a lot to avoid relegation. I had already given up on my pre-season expectation of mid table, so I just focused on avoiding the drop. Firstly, let me show you my results after the Wigan game from my "Disaster Start" post.








As you can see, it is a lot better than before, with 14 points being collected from 14 Premier League games, taking us to 19 points. We have even moved up to 19th in the league table (shown below)! But going out to Championship side Cardiff in the FA Cup was hard to swallow, and other disappointing results were Sunderland, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Blackburn, Reading, Liverpool and Wolves. But great wins over Fulham, Tottenham and Hull really filled me with confidence, and looking at our next few fixtures it could not have come at a better time, as very soon we have Wigan, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and West Brom in quick succession - all key games.





It is unsatisfactory for the board (obviously) but if we can put more points on the board soon, I am confident we can avoid relegation. And this is helped by 2 new signings in January:

Steed Malbranque - £5m - from Sunderland - AM R/L/C

Very very good player, I will probably use him in centre midfield, but if one of the wingers get injured he can do a great job on the wings. He was brought as cover but he could be a key player for us.

Joe Mattock - £2.6m - from Leicester - D/WB/M L

Well known wonderkid from Leicester. Cheap price and good signing because I needed cover in my defence. I am very happy with getting him.

Michel Salgado - Free - unattached - D/WB R

Legendary right back, formerly of Real Madrid. He was released at the end of last season so I got him on a free. He is 35 years old, but he still has decent stats so I got him on a deal until the end of the season. He shall be used in rotation.

These 3 signings hopefully will get me a lot of points over the next 4 months. Happiest with Malbranque, but other 2 are brilliant players. Anyway, see you in the next post! Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment